Monday, January 17, 2011

Outrageous

I was just reading an extremely disturbing article on the continued atrocities against women in Haiti that happen every day.

As I scrolled down the page to read about more rape and violence and women being left for dead, I saw an advertisement on the side of the page. It looks like it's for a website where you can create your own avatar. The picture they're using as an example is a ridiculously big-boobed woman with an almost non-existent waist who is wearing barely any clothes.

Seriously? I kind of want to cry right now. Do you think that just maybe THIS version of women is contributing to the violence? And maybe it's part of the reason that women are frequently seen as only bodies to be used?

I'm so disgusted right now.

1 comment:

die Frau said...

That sort of juxtaposition feels like nails on a chalkboard to me.