Friday, September 17, 2010

A few of my favorite things

I didn't have any plans for last night. I thought I would go home, do the 30 Day Shred, drink some chocolate milk and eat some leftovers from the soup I made Tuesday night. I would likely also watch a movie that Netflix sent and do some laundry.

I'm happy this isn't the way things worked out.

Something about me: I hate it when I make plans (even if those plans are that I have no plans) and then things change at the last minute. I find it upsetting. There is an exception, though. If those last minute changes are ones that include people coming to my house so that I can cook dinner for them and we can sit and eat and laugh and drink wine? Well then that's just fine.

Impromptu dinners: one of my favorite things

At around 7pm J came around with some bread to add to the french onion soup. I made croutons. another friend (also a J) was coming to join us and at the last last minute B, who lives just 4 blocks away and was facing an evening where Tostitos provided his only sustenance also came over. So my solo evening turned into a giggly dinner for four. We cut up some veggies for a salad, put everything on the table and ate and told awkward stories from our youth and grossed each other out a bit and then they left and I was alone and washing the dishes and enjoying the peace that comes after having people fill your home.

I gathered the cats, brushed my teeth, and went to bed, happy and full.

5 comments:

The Perfect Space said...

Happy & full! My favorite things! You are such a great impromptu dinner preparer!

Sarah Berry said...

That's so funny b/c I would rank "last minute people coming over for dinner" as high on my list of things that would totally stress me out!

Wonderland said...

I agree with Scarlet. That's a nightmare in my head. I'm so glad you had fun!

die Frau said...

Honestly, it depends on the people....

Happy and full is a great way to end the night!

The Perfect Space said...

The people were just happy to be spending time together & eating delicious home-cooked food (that was already mostly prepared). No expectations, baby! Just lots of laughing & love :-)