Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mr. F


The Man calls this a frivolous pet. I just think he's pretty. And I like to torture the cats with a fish. And the fish with cats. I'm mean.


So, I wanted a mirror to hang in my kitchen region to make it look a little bigger. All of the ones I'd seen in stores were (in my opinion) too expensive, or too small or too something. So I checked out Craigslist. I found a large mirror (with a plastic frame, but whatever, I can paint it) for $15 only two streets over from where I work - easy pick up. I contacted the person to see if it was still for sale, and it was, so I said I would come over after work. For the rest of the day I became increasingly paranoid about being murdered and dumped behind the train tracks. Why? No reason, really. The respondent was a woman named Anna (my grandmother's name for crying out loud) and gave me no reason to be alarmed AT ALL. But. You know. So I went over the the apartment, got buzzed in, climbed to the top of the stairs and saw that her door was ajar. And an adorable toddler was peering out. Then another cutie-patootie little kid came up behind him. Then a small adorable woman who could probably BARELY pick up either of these two little guys appeared. Seriously: my fears = unfounded. So, I put my knife* back into my purse and gave her $15 and carried the heavy-ass mirror down to my car with the kiddies screaming "thank you!" behind me. The mirror does indeed open up the kitchen area.

*I'm just kidding. I do carry a fold-out Cutco knife in my bag, but it wasn't out and in my hand - just within easy reach. But I could have easily overcome that whole clan with tickles, probably...

2 comments:

The Perfect Space said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Perfect Space said...

I always have that in-the-back-of-my-mind thing when I answer an ad on Craigslist, especially if it ends up being in a semi-isolated Cambridge/Somerville neighborhood. I think it's smart of us--it's when you start to assume that nothing can happen to you that you put yourself at risk. Glad the kiddies didn't mug you ;