Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Declutter/recycle

I have a bag of batteries that are all used up. I moved them from my old apartment to my new apartment. USED batteries. I didn’t want to throw them out and single-handedly be responsible for the destruction of the planet. The place I work now has a few receptacles for battery recycling. I’ve been coming here for A YEAR and I still have yet to recycle these damn batteries. Because I am a lazy person. About this. Also, I have a burned out compact fluorescent bulb that’s been sitting on my kitchen table like an industrial centerpiece for months. I’m pretty sure that Home Depot and Whole Foods both have receptacles for disposing of these. I’m telling you, dear internet friends, because I need to get this monkey off my back. I live in a studio; I cannot afford to clutter the place up with stuff I don’t need or that no longer works. It’s not like these spent batteries and the bulb have any emotional significance or sentimental value. “Oh! That lightbulb lit my first trip down to the basement!” Or, “My vibrator never worked better than with those energizers!” (Ha! Just kidding, my vibrator plugs into the wall…).

Anyway. My plan is to rid myself of these things by week’s end. Now I just need to figure out how to deal with the cardboard thing that lives on my kitchen floor. It’s from IKEA. It’s basically just a very shallow box that housed an end table and the cats love to sit in and fight over it. I don’t like looking at it every time I do anything in my tiny place, but since I suffer from crippling guilt over my cats never being able to go outside or have any fun, I let them keep it. Ugh.

Last night on my way home from rehearsal (Which was wonderful! These shows will be really funny. And I enjoyed the rehearsal even more because of the beer I put in my water bottle!) I walked along everyone’s trash (because today is trash day) and I spied an old rocking chair that someone threw away. It looked so nice! All the wooden parts were intact and apart from a few small worn bits of caning and it being dirty it was great. I was on the phone with my Man at the time and I told him that I would keep it for him (he loves projects). I lugged it all the way to my car, and it was heavy! I hope he can clean it up and make it pretty again and then I can use it*. I’ll take before and after pictures if it looks like he’s going to do something with it. If not, he may just use it for the wood and then it’ll be repurposed/recycled and it’ll still be pretty cool…

It is freezing in my office, so I will stop writing now and conserve my energy for shivering thermogenesis purposes. Adieu.

*By “use it”, I mean that we’ll live together and one day I’ll be pregnant and sipping some tea, rocking on that chair on the porch of our house thinking about what a lovely life I have and there will be pugs nipping at my toes and cookies in the oven and unicorns frolicking in the yard. And the Man will have just finished mowing the lawn, and will sit next to me on the porch, beer in hand, and he'll remind me of how cute I am, and he'll kiss my face.

1 comment:

Wonderland said...

* I KNEW that's what you meant when you wrote "use it". except for the part about the unicorns, that was an unexpected and happy addition. I like unicorns.