Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Some nice things for a change. Because I‘m not all about lack-of-sleep and traffic vengeance.

A nice thing I did for someone last night:

I was walking into Davis Square to pick up some sushi from Snappy Sushi and I parked outside the square so I could just use my permit and not have to be molested by the man (read: Somerville parking authority) and spend my quarters (my precious, precious quarters!). I passed a girl who practically screeched at me: “OHMYGOD do you have any quarters?!” Sigh. Yes, I did. But I didn’t want to spend them, and I parked about 4 blocks out of the way so I wouldn’t have to use them, but I felt her pain, so I gave her my quarters. I told her she didn’t have to pay me back, but she hurled a fistful of nickels at me in gratitude. Ah, parking.


A nice thing someone else did for me a few nights ago:

I was at rehearsal talking to a woman about jobs (what she’d wanted to be when she was younger, what we both are now…). She mentioned that her husband (who did the same job I do) was unemployed and looking. I gave her some contact information for recruiters I worked with during my unemployment and she thanked my by giving me a pair of Earth Shoes (she works for Earth Shoes – otherwise that might be a little weird). They’re pretty ugly (taupe clogs with faux-fur), but really warm and comfortable like slippers. Also, Earth Shoes are the ones where your heel is lower than the ball of your foot, so you’re supposed to burn more calories when you walk and also it encourages good posture somehow. And it’s made from the skin of unicorns. That last part might not be true.

Anyway – nice things! People making other people happier, or making their lives a little easier!

Side note that is also NOT about how I am NOT sleeping: I miss my Man. He gets back from Tahoe tomorrow and I just want to smoosh my face against his face and warm my nose on his neck. The neck that smells like Man. Mmmm.

1 comment:

die Frau said...

I LOVE my Earth shoes. She may send me any Earth shoes she wants. I am a size 8.5.

Totally understand about the sleeping weirdness--when T is gone, I have to fall asleep to the TV and have Penny right next to me.

WV: inglech, as in "I spek goot inglech."