Friday, February 26, 2010

90,000

This morning in MA there are 90 thousand people without power. The constant snow/rain we're supposed to be getting is almost all rain where I am in Somerville, but it looks like the real culprit is the 50 MPH winds! Luckily, I do have power, but when I drove home last night from the theatre, there were trash barrel and branches and debris all over the road. I parked my car out of the way of any trees.

While doing the show, I could feel the entire theatre shake. There's a time when I spend an extended period lying still on a rickety folding table (because I'm dead - SURPRISE!) and I was sure I was going down. The light booth crew said that all of the hanging lights were swaying and they feared for their very lives. A few audience member said they thought the noise from the wind was a trick of the show...

But moving on from weather (kind of) can you freaking believe it'll be March on Monday?? I know that there's plenty of cold weather to come, but right now it's sunny and with Daylight Saving two weeks away and then spring the week after that, I feel positively hopeful!

***

Last night the man came over after the show and we went to bed a little before midnight. Just after 1am we woke up to the noise of his iPhone vibrating. Now, though we both may have been in the past, neither of us is the kind of person to have late night calls from friends. And considering that his father is recovering from major heart surgery, I was immediately still with fear. The call was from his parents. I cannot say how relieved I was hear his mother telling him that their power was out and they were concerned about the basement flooding. Flooding is much better than a call late at night to say that you need to go to the hospital. In any case, my poor man said he'd go up there immediately, and at 2:25am I received a text saying he'd arrived safely at his parents' house. I love that guy; he's so good. I'm sure he got everything figured out at their place and I hope that he was able to get some sleep. I know I'm looking forward to lots of sleep once my show is over tomorrow night.

No comments: