Thursday, November 8, 2012

One thing and then two other things

Last night I had a dream I met Rufus Wainwright. I know what he looks like but in my dream he looked almost exactly like Tilda Swinton. He wore black skinny jeans, a camel turtleneck, and a leopard print jacket. He was so stylish. He told me my shirt didn't match my pants. Then we hugged and sang Foolish Love together. It was a wonderful dream (despite the sartorial slam).

Two other things that are unrelated except for the fact that NPR made me think of both of them:

1. On the way into work I heard on NPR that 18 people were killed because they hit a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. My first thought was literally: "How many of them were Americans?". Then I felt terrible ashamed. It does not matter at all how many of them were Americans. Losing 18 people is a terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to their families. I assume they were Afghan people because later in the story the newscaster said they were civilians going to a wedding.

"Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace"


Yes, John Lennon, I am imagining that right now.

2. I am glad that President Obama was re-elected. However, I am one of the many people who thinks that he needs to do a better job. And he needs more help from politicians who should be providing support and working for compromises rather than just blocking any sort of progress because of party politics. I like it when I hear people like Congressman Capuano urging the president to take a harder line on the issues that he says he's fighting for. It's good to support your president, it's wonderful when you believe in his ideas, but that doesn't mean we don't have room for improvement. I would like to see us improve. All together. We're all on the same team, folks.

No comments: