Monday, December 12, 2011

GET OUT!

The Man did, in fact, close on the house on Friday. I met him there after work. We were both giddy. He had to go to some office function for a while just after I got there, so he left me to strip wallpaper. By myself in a new-old house, In the dark. In the night.

I was having a great time listening to music and bopping around the first floor apartment. I scraped and sprayed vinegar-solution and pulled and stuffed gluey old buts of floral wallpaper into garbage bags. I was having a great time.

I noticed at one point that there was writing on the walls under the wallpaper. The kids of the house had written their names and the date in various places. I thought this was kind of cute. I also was surprised to see that the date on the walls was November, 1994. By the look of the wallpaper and the pattern, we'd estimated its installation as being a late 70s/early 80s thing. Anyway.

I'd uncovered several children's names and dates and I thought I was about to see another because I noticed some more writing, but when I uncovered it I saw this:
Yeeeeeeah. It says: "HELP PLEASE HELP". And chills went down my spine and my knees went  a little wobbly*. I was immediately creeped out. I texted the Man that he should probably come home because there was some extremely creepy writing on the wall and I didn't want to die alone, horror-movie style. No response. Then I sent him the picture and he sent "On my way." Yes. You had better be on your way.

Well, as you may have already guessed, I did not die. We did not die. There were no more scary messages from beyond the grave. Luckily.

The rest of the weekend was very hard-work-y. We didn't leave the new house until 1am on Friday, then we were back by 8:30 on Saturday and (excluding one Home Depot run) we were there until 9pm. Sunday found the Man awake at 6am and at the house by 7. I slept a little longer and then went to Starbucks for coffee and breakfast sandwiches and I met him there at 8. We are crazy people. Crazy people who like to strip wallpaper and prime walls and replace outdated lighting. That's who we are. Tonight I'm going back to tape more in preparation for painting more. YAY!

In other news, Conan the elder cat is acting weird. The Man thinks it's for attention because we weren't around all weekend. He's walking carefully, but not favoring any particular leg. He's also not jumping up on the couch, but I've caught him up on the counter three times. I think he's just trying to confuse me. He's a furry mystery.

*There comes a time in the life of a person who's watched as many horror movies as I have when you think: "Aha! This is what I've been training for watching all of those horror movies!" So I gripped my razor-wallpaper-scrape-y thing and mapped out my escape route in case the ghosts/poltergeists/monsters came after me. Lucky for them, they didn't test me.

2 comments:

die Frau said...

1. Nice that the Man recognized his need to come home and validated your fears.

2. I wonder if the twisted little kids wrote that, knowing someone would find it and be freaked out?

3. Only ONE Home Depot trip? That's impressive.

Leslie said...

1. Yes. Because CREEPY.

2. I'm sure they did. I almost want to contact them and tell them that their 17 year old joke was awesome (and terrible).

3. This isn't our first rodeo.