Friday, October 14, 2011

Holy awesome mutants!

Last night the Man and I watched* X Men: First Class. I expected to like it because I like the franchise, but I didn't expect to love it. But I totally did. Here's why:

Reason the first: James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender making my head explode
Have you even seen these guys? James McAvoy is all pink-lipped and fighting-for-justice and charming cocky smiles and Michael Fassbender is all dark moody brooding and black turtlenecks. Also, they both have accents. Oh my.

Reason 2: The "kids" were not annoying or too slang-y
Other than Professor X saying "groovy" a couple of times and the young folks getting slightly rowdy at the secret headquarters one time, there wasn't any detestable young-person** behavior, or misbehavior. So I was able to like them and not scream at the tv: "Get a job, you hippies!"

And finally: There is so much wonderful mod design*** in that movie 
The clothes! the interiors! I was drooling the whole time. I did a lot of design stealing in my head for when I get a giant mid-century house to decorate one day. That's probably also when I'll have that unicorn farm.


*Well, one of us watched, and one of us kind of watched while getting his head scratched and then fell asleep. Guess who's who!
**That's right: I am one hundred years old. Where's my support hose??
***Speaking (writing?) of this, I'm now on Pinterest. Find me if you want to see lots of beautiful shoes I will never wear and furniture I can't afford to own. Mmmm... design fantasies...

1 comment:

The Perfect Space said...

I knew you'd love it. So, so good.