Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Safety first

Last night after my brother left I went on a jog. I'm trying to do this Couch to 5K thingy and I tried to download the instructions on my iPod but that was a disaster that didn't work at all and I was about to scrap the idea until I came to the conclusion that the instructions would probably be: JOG.

So I did. It was not impressive. I did not jog 5k; I jogged about 2.7k, and I took 2 quick "walk fast" breaks in there. But still... It's something.

So, half way through my run I received a text from the Man who was stuck in the Philadelphia airport (on his way back from a business trip to Minnesota) because he missed his connecting flight.

When I got back to the house, I stretched in the back and watered the plants and went inside. I talked to the Man who's plan was to fly to Manchester, stay with his parents, and come back in the morning.*

I had a hard time sleeping all night. Sometimes when I woke up I thought I heard someone in the house. Other times I strained to hear something but couldn't.

I used to be a HUGE scaredy cat about being at home alone. When I lived in rural areas (so, everywhere before MA), I had had very real fears (and morbid nightmares) about home invasions and elaborate murders. I saw shadows and thought of monsters.
I'm not sure why I never think that here but Somerville has been the safest-feeling place I've ever lived. I think it's because at any given time, there are at least 10 or 15 or more people within 100 feet of me. Somerville is so overloaded with people that I'm never actually alone.
I know that this does not mean I'm impervious to attack; I'm sure someone could easily noiselessly murder me. But still.
I feel like it's unlikely to happen.
It's nice.


*The Man showed up this morning, sweaty and disheveled, after a bus ride from Manchester.

No comments: