Friday, June 10, 2011

A short story about a chair

I bought this chair and ottoman last summer for $20 from some hoarders. You can't really tell from this picture, but there is a button missing and both the chair and the ottoman have slits in the vinyl because they don't have any support - just wood frames and some cotton padding. And I found a piece of broccoli in the ottoman. Weird.
I stripped both pieces to their wooden nakedness in upholstery class and then added plenty of webbing (so there would be adequate support) and some dacron padding for a little bit of cushion.
Then, taking my soft, supple faux-ostrich fabric, I measured and cut and pieced things together.Then, in a step that utterly terrified me, I had to jam this 12 inch long needle into the beautiful, pristine cover to add the buttons.
But in the end - here*** we are! I've got a lovely, stronger, better, more technologically advanced* piece than before. And it's mine! And it only too 24 hours total worth of classes** to do it.
Be gentle. It was my first time.
I'm working on another chair now that should also be pretty cool...

*This part isn't really true. There aren't any microchips in there or anything...
**And a bunch of money - those faux ostriches aren't cheap...
***Sneak peek of the Man's home - soon to be our home. SOON!

1 comment:

The Perfect Space said...

This is awesome. I can not WAIT to sit in it at the Willow house.