Friday, June 17, 2011

Same old

Tonight is the first show of our second weekend of A Midsummer Night's Dream. I would be in this play 100 more times if people let me.
Last week we had great audiences (with great laughers - and that means a lot when you're on stage) and I'm looking forward to a strong closing weekend, too. I'm also assuming that I will barely sleep this weekend because there's so much to do with the show and the move and class and seeing another group's production of Equus and oh my my.
But it will be great.
I'll sleep when I'm dead, right?

After the weekend is over it's the Man's birthday on Monday. He hates a fuss so we'll probably go out for sushi and then get some drinks in Harvard outside, if the weather is nice.
Then Tuesday I have an audition for another play. I have to have a monologue prepared for the audition.
Here's what always screws me up with preparing a monologue:
The memorization part is fine because I'm a pretty good memorizer, but I do most of the memorizing at work (where I can write the lines over and over) or in the car (where I am alone and can say the lines over and over). The problem with that is that neither of those places allows me to be at all physical about the words I'm saying - so most of the time I come to the audition with the words in my head and my body knows not what to do. I don't know where to look or how to orient myself. It's... not awesome. But! Knowing is half the battle, right? So, in addition to a eighty jillion other things I have to do this weekend, I have to set aside 20 or so minutes to just do this monologue in front of the mirror and play with the physicality. That way I'll be prepared all around.
Let's all hope for a weekend where time moves slowly so I can get all my shit done, yes?
Happy Friday :)

No comments: