Thursday, December 16, 2010

Girls only

Before I moved to Boston I didn't have many girl friends. I didn't have many friends at all, but if I was going to have more, they would have been guys. I'd ALWAYS thought of myself as the kind of girl who got along better with guys. And, the girl friends I had were also that type. Mostly, I thought that (most)girls were catty and more drama than they were worth.

Hmm.

Then I moved to Boston and I met all of these smart, funny, talented, beautiful women.

So THIS is where they've been!

Now I know that I just hadn't always been around the right women. The women I'm friends with now have grown into themselves. They're largely comfortable with what they have and who they are. They like me and they like themselves. They generate a terrific energy.

I still get a little on edge when I'm in a room full of women I don't know. Last night I went to the first rehearsal of The Vagina Monologues. There were about 25 women in the room and I found myself immediately forming ideas about them and wondering if this was going to be a good experience. Well. They were all so welcoming and excited and funny! Everyone wanted to be there: acting and bonding and raising money for charity (10% to the Women of Haiti, 90% to the Boston Women's Rape Crisis Center). And I think almost all of them seemed as relieved as I did that everyone put out such positive feelings.

I don't know how to end this other than to express how happy I am that my anxiousness was completely unnecessary.

This will be a great show.


Of course, the men in my life rock, too. They are smart, capable man-beasts!
I just wanted a special shout out to the ladies.

1 comment:

die Frau said...

Hooray for the girls! Still trying to find a few more in my neck of the woods. It really is hard sometimes....