Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Road rage and sugar

In order to get off of my street and on my way to work, I need to make a left onto Mass Ave. (where I do not have a light), which is a very busy street indeed in the morning. Because I leave pretty early though, I rarely have to wait more than 30-60 seconds to do this (I can hit the intersection between lights on Mass Ave. and sneak in between floods of cars.

This morning I was waiting and it took a little bit longer than usual. I wasn't in a huge hurry because I leave with plenty of time. I had been at the intersection for maybe a minute when the woman (let's call her Bitchy Magee) in the SUV behind me started honking like crazy. At first I just sort of laughed because there were physical cars blocking my path. Unless I were made of magic or in a hoverJeep there was NO WAY to get to the other side of the road. Nevertheless: HONK HONK HONK. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK.

So, even though she couldn't hear me I started yelling things. Mean things. Insults about her and what she does with dogs. I KNOW. I'm not proud of myself, but dude, it's first thing in the morning, let me get to my job in peace.
Nope: HONK HONK HONK. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK.

Ugh. This went on for maybe another minute, during which I see Bitchy Magee getting redder and redder and almost have several heart attacks in her car no doubt wielding horrible insults in my direction.
Finally I was able to get through and make my left, with her right on my tail and do you know where she was in such a hurry to get? Do you? DO YOU?

Dunkin' Donuts, right across the street. YEAH.

Well, let me tell you how terrible I felt for keeping such a delightful woman away from her (no doubt) six donuts and bagel twists and giant coffee coolatta. I will also stress that it didn't look like this was her first trip to Dunks. Grrrr. Grarr.

4 comments:

The Perfect Space said...

When people behind me honk, it kinda makes me want to stay there for longer. Wait, so you want me to crash into the car blocking my path? Run over the jogger or the baby carriage in the crosswalk? Because the place you need to be is THAT important?!?! Riiiiiiiight.

Leslie said...

Yes! It's similar to when someone behind me is *REALLY* close to my car because they want me to go faster. There is no better way to ensure that I slow down to 20mph than to ride my ass on the road...

die Frau said...

reminds me of my friend D. who accidentally cut some guy off and he was in such a hurry to get to his destination that he TAILED HER TO HER HOUSE. Then, as they both got out of the car and he saw that she was 1) a woman and 2) 8 months pregnant, he backed off. To her credit, she told him off and threatened to call the cops on his ass.

People are insane.

Wonderland said...

"Thank you for parking up my a**" = best angry note ever left on Idealist's car...