Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Some things

Before I forget, get thee immediately to Mila's Daydreams and see the ridiculously cute-and-funny pictures Adele Enersen takes of her little girl while she sleeps. They are awesome tableaux of awesomeness.

Now, for additional awesomeness, I present my own little baby. My brother J just sent me this for my birthday (which isn't for another month).

It's a little steel ukulele and I will learn to play it like a motherfucking rockstar. You wanna know why? Because it's on my life list to learn an instrument, ok? It is on the list that I have yet to write down but have a pretty good mental grasp of (Oh yeah, I ended that sentence with a preposition; I do what I want!).
In third and fourth grade I tried, extremely half-assedly, to play the saxophone. I was terrible and I couldn't read music and it was pathetic. During concerts I would mock doing the finger work and I would literally pretend to blow into the thing. I was so embarrassed that I was so much slower at getting it than everyone else.
But I am over that. I will learn this thing.

Look at it. It's so sweet and unintimidating. It wants me to be good at it. And I hope for the sake of my neighbors (we have very thin walls) that I get good swiftly. I am willing to put in the effort.

Oh yeah, and here's the finished product of that little bookshelf I was painting black. It looks pretty new and clean and should do it's job (holding a lamp, clock, books, and a glass of water without dropping anything). I'm still working on the other cabinet. I want to paint it tomato red but I can't find the right color that doesn't only come in spray paint. And I think that spray painting it would take eighty million years. And that's just too much time to put into this project, so I need to come up with a different plan.
So yeah. That's all I've got on this very humid Wednesday morning. Tonight I will be doing some packing and cleaning and ironing(blech!) because Friday is the start of a SUPER-EXCITING trip. YAY!

4 comments:

Ouiser said...

dude! the ukelele is very cool...and i totally almost bought that print on etsy. great minds...

The Perfect Space said...

I'm so excited for your ukulele! It's even fun to write! So many vowels! Anywho, I have some red paint that Alissa gave me to paint my door (which I obviously never did) so if you'd like to check it out for color appropriateness, feel free. You know, when you get around to it because we are f-ing busy for the next 2 weeks!!!

Leslie said...

Idealist- I will browse that paint! Thanks.

Ouis- I bought that print and one other and she sent me a third for free - in case that sways you...

Wonderland said...

There will be, not one, but TWO ukes for you to play with, practice on, while you are here with me. Rock it, sister!

PS - I sh*t you not, Word verification: quear.