Monday, August 30, 2010

He's just doing this to hurt me, and some philosophy

No he's not retarded. I think he's playing dead.

Last night at 3:17 I heard a blood-curdling cat scream. It sounded like death. I got up, the Man got up, and we took flashlights outside in search of what I was sure was going to be several cat pieces.
Instead we just found Kail (cat#2) who was very pissed at having a flashlight shined in his eyes.
We deposited him in the house and went back outside to look everywhere - in bushes, under porches, in trees. Conan was no where. We went back to bed and I lay awake hoping that he would just show up and it would be fine. What I was remembering though was the conversation I'd had with A that morning about all of the fisher cats in the area :(

At 4:45 I heard regular cat screams from outside and I let the offending faker back in the house. He was slow but he seemed fine. We went back to sleep again. I woke up late when the Man said: "Is it 7 o'clock already?!!" Yup. I must have kept hitting snooze because, you know, my body NEEDS SLEEP OCCASIONALLY. Damn you, cat.

Of course, upon close inspection of his kitty-bits I see three fresh scratches on his chest. UGH! He is soooooo grounded.


And now for something completely different:
So have you seen that movie Unthinkable? It's about terrorism and torture (with Samuel L. Jackson and Carrie Moss and that British dude I love). Basically it (rather heavy-handedly) asks that question that I was asked when joining Amnesty International in high school. That is, if there were a bomb that was about to go off in your city, killing the people you love, and you had someone in custody who might know where it is, would you torture that person to get information?
When I was in high school and I only had myself to think of and take care of, my answer was a firm "absolutely not". And now I'm not so sure. Because now there are people that I love and I have to say that their lives, weighed against that of a possible terrorist? Well, that's less clear cut than I've thought in the past. I'm not saying I'd run straight for genital-electrocution to get the information, but I can't sayt at I wouldn't push the boundries of what my teenaged self was comfortable with...

The movie isn't for people who can't take lots of violence. But it isn't just mindless gratuitous violence. And to watch characters who could just be regular people become passively compliant to behaviors they otherwise would have villified (and did only moments earlier)... that was provocative.

No comments: