Monday, May 3, 2010

Weekend update, now with heat exhaustion!

This weekend was HOT. So hot that my apartment is a third floor fiery pit of hell and my moisturizer has melted. Wow Boston, you’re not one for transitions, are you?

Saturday was Somerville Open Studios – which is an annual event where artists open their homes to show you their art. You can go to any of the houses with the orange balloons outside, and walk in and buy local paintings, pottery, jewelry, etc. I exercised moderation. For real I did.

I walked around with my friend M for HOURS and saw some really beautiful stuff. I bought a few small items, one of which was a print by an artist who uses leaves as his medium. I’ll need to take a picture of the print I bought and post it – it’s very cool. But when I grabbed a copy of it and went to pay the artist he said:

“Ah. The most popular print”.

This immediately made me want to:

A) Punch him in the face because DUDE I am seeking out independent art, not looking for something to match my couch at TJ Maxx.

B) Put back the print immediately. I didn’t, because it’s really nice (and now that I think about it, it really does match my couches beautifully). But still. You don’t say that to someone.

So, as I was leaving, I let him know that I would be framing his superfine, super-popular print in an IKEA frame. Yeah.

Saturday night I hung out with my Man and it was pretty low key. We had some snacks, a bottle of wine, and finished Lawrence of Arabia. Now, this is a 3.5 hour movie. And Peter O’Toole is very badass, but by the end I was like: Really? This man was supposed to be so fantastic, because now he’s just killing for sport”. Still, it was worth watching.

Sunday I met J in the morning to go to Home Depot. She needed some painting supplies and my Man needed some dirt for his backyard garden. At Home Depot, the 37 teenage boys that were working that day were all more than happy to watch me push a pallet-cart with 250 pounds of dirt around rather than offer to help. And I’m not saying that because I’m so hot or so strong, I’m saying it because they are SO LAZY. Jerks.

Sunday afternoon I spent cleaning up the Man’s apartment* because we had friends coming over for dinner. I was making pot roast with peas, mashed potatoes, and gravy, and beet and goat cheese salad. Well guess who hates beets?! Anyway, they loved the rest of the food, and luckily, it stayed cool enough inside to have a perfectly pleasant time. Once they left my Man had some work to finish (lots to do!) so I headed home to swelter. I cannot believe I have to put the air conditioner in already. Honestly, I was hoping not to have to live another summer on the third floor, but life doesn’t usually deal you what you expect, so there it is. Fortunately, the heat immobilized the cats a bit and I was able to sleep until 4:30, and then a little more before having to get up this morning.

While driving in to work today there was a story on NPR about 1 in 100 women getting menopause during their 30s and not being able to have kids. Thanks NPR, you fuckers. Yeah, I shut off that story immediately and started listening to my iPod.


*This wasn't because he won't clean, but because he was super busy and our versions of "clean" are a little different...

No comments: