Wednesday, April 7, 2010

lash of the Ti

I saw Clash of the Titans on Monday. It was ok. The filmmakers at least used my very favorite prop from the original and also one of the god/man aspects I really enjoyed from the original. But am I the only one to lament the fact that when you make an entire character out of CGI, you completely miss out on any chance of gaining the audience's empathy? Ugh. It was like the Hulk in that hideous Ang Lee remake - he was a cartoon in a movie of people. I had absolutely NO emotions for that thing.

Luckily, last night I saw The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

WOW.

This movie has all of the beautiful attention to detail in set, scene, and dialog of regular Wes Anderson movies, but all of the beautiful whimsy of the best children's literature. So. So. Good.


And, I guess to round out the fact that I'm only talking about movies: Last weeked I watched The Lady in the Water (M. Night Shyamalan movie froma few years ago). It solidified something that I already suspected: Paul Giamatti is the saddest man ever. Even when he's just hanging out watching tv, or eating a hot dog with spicy mustard. So, when he is sad in a movie I lose my shit and cry. I really did like this movie - there was a lot of beauty and strength in it. Next time I watch it, though, I'll know to have some tissues around so I don't have to ask the cat snoozing on my lap "Can I wipe my snot on your tail?"...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

In general, I really appreciated Lady in the Water, mostly because of Paul Giamatti and Bryce Howard. That said, it's a problematic film, and I suspect much of that has either to do with interference on the part of the studio, or Shyamalan having active contempt for his audience. ("You guys aren't bright enough to puzzle this out for yourselves, so I'm going to spoonfeed you. That's okay, right?")

Ultimately, that's my problem with the majority of his work, though of course there are a couple of exceptions. Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense don't really suffer from this much. The Village does but like Lady in the Water it maintains enjoyability. The Happening is literally the most horrible movie I have ever seen. Thankfully, I was very drunk at the time.

Wonderland said...

Ah, thank you for the reviews. Hopefully I can talk my man out of his need to see Lash of the Ti.

die Frau said...

Yes, James, The Happening was deeply ironic because...NOTHING HAPPENED. What a giant piece of shite movie.

T and I always made fun of the title, screaming "Bitch in da Pooool!!!" at high speed so it all runs together. Then we finally sat down to watch it and both really enjoyed it. I have to agree that I found myself weeping quite a lot when Giamatti got sad as well.

Thanks for the Fantastic Mr. Fox thumbs-up!