Wednesday, April 21, 2010

KU

I swear I'm not all about the movie reviews or anything, but:

A few days ago, I watched Knocked Up with my Man. I hadn’t Netflixed it before because even though I’d heard it was funny, it looked like kind of a chick flick. When some dudes at work told me that it was indeed quite funny, I got it.

It wasn’t what I thought it was going to be. I was expecting something a lot more like I Love You Man or Forgetting Sarah Marshall. And, I’m not complaining that it wasn’t just the same jokes over and over, but… the people were so… MEAN to each other. There was all kinds of needless conflict and yelling. (During sex, unless someone’s elbow jabs me or I’m having a very good time there is NO yelling, no barking of instructions.) It didn’t make me laugh, it made me depressed.

I did, however, totally love all of the scenes with Seth Rogan’s roommates. I’ve never seen Jason Segal in anything and not loved him. How is he such a big, goofy guy and still so smooth?

Best line in the movie: “Well, gynecology’s just a hobby of mine, but it sounds like she’s crowning.”

Don’t get me wrong, there were a lot of funny parts. I’m not so prude or sensitive that I didn’t get that, but I just don’t like all the meanness. Can we cut out the meanness? I think I’ve just been so spoiled with non-mean people that I can’t conceive of that being the way you act around someone you like… I was discussing this with J the other day: it’s nice to be nice. When you’re mean, even if you’re reacting to someone else’s assholery, you end up not liking yourself. It’s tough to laugh, smile, and play when you’re angry. And for me, laughing, smiling and playing are my favorite things about a relationship. Well, and eating.

3 comments:

Wonderland said...

I totally agree. I do not like movies where they are mean to each other. Who behaves like that?! Gosh, J and I are almost pathologically nice to each other and I dig that. BTW - this issue is exactly why I actually *hate* Seinfeld. I know, it's like un-american or something to hate Seinfeld, but I do. And it's because they are so mean to everyone. Why watch that?!

die Frau said...

I see what you mean about the meanness. While part of me found it refreshing that everyone wasn't annoyingly nice, the meanness was nothing I needed to pay to see.

I liked that the kids were Judd Apatow and Leslie Mann's real kids.

The Perfect Space said...

I didn't think that movie was funny (other than the roommate scenes), either, but I couldn't really put my finger on why. I think partly it was that to me getting somebody accidentally knocked up just isn't a funny premise for a movie. But indeed, I think the mean played a big part.