Thursday, April 29, 2010

Emergency planning

When I was little, my brother and I shared a room. We had bunk beds. He had the coveted top-bunk, and I languished in little kid misery on the lame-as-hell and not-dangerous-or-fun-at-all bottom bunk.
When I slept, I had to have at least one arm on the outside of the covers because that way in the event of a monster attack I would be able to use the free arm to immediately fling off the covers and sprint to safety (where safety was, I don't know -perhaps monsters didn't think to look in closets?).
I also couldn't ever EVER have one of my feet out from under the blankets or over the edge of the bed; that would give the monsters easy access. I was no fool.

It literally was high school when I felt comfortable sleeping with both of my arms (and my whole head) under the covers because at that point, it's not that I didn't believe in monsters anymore, but LIFE WAS JUST. SO. HARD! that a monster attack might have improved things.

Now I am comfortable with all kinds of permutations of the over/under the covers theme, though I do need to be under some kind of cover. And, I still feel intensely uncomfortable with my feet sticking out. You know, monsters... they never go away entirely.

No comments: