Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving

There's no denying it: Thanksgiving is my favorite day. It's my favorite meal. I like it so much, I do it twice (Thanksgiving 2 is in March).

Just a few short days from now, I will be getting up, taking a shower, opening the first of many bottles of wine, and starting the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (extended versions). People should start showing up at around noon. I have a 24 lb, free range, organic turkey named Ted defrosting in my fridge right now. I have plans for stuffings, veggies, and crazy-rich gravy. I have plans for a frenzy of work and then delightful sloth.

Here are some things that I'm thankful for, in case you're interested:
1. My family. They may drive me completely nuts sometimes, but they are the only ones who I know will love me no matter what I do, forever. My grandfather passed away this weekend, and it made me think about a lot. Despite the fact that we weren't close at all, he was my last living grandparent and I didn't realize that the permanence of it would be so jarring. (side note: I'm fine, my family is fine. Thanks.)

2. My friends. I can't think of enough good things to say about you guys. Perhaps it will suffice to say that without you, life would be way more about surviving than living.

3. Food. see especially Thanksgiving.

4. The cats. My cats have the most personality of any cats I've ever met. Many people have indicated that they're not cat people, but that my cats are the exception. They are pretty much the best snugglers ever, and they make me laugh every day.

5. There's a lot more, but it's small stuff, and I'm in a big-picture kind of mood.

I hope everyone has a lovely, food and family/friends-filled Thanksgiving. Gobble!

2 comments:

Wonderland said...

1) I will love you forever no matter what. I guess that makes me family.

2) I am so sorry about your Grandpa. I lost mine last month and I'm still sad. Go watch Young @ Heart ;)

3) Happy Thanksgiving!

die Frau said...

Wait, you named your turkey TED? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU???

I'm sorry about Grandpa, too, mostly sorry I didn't read about it until now so I could write this sooner.

You are my friend and my family, just as Wonderland wrote. I learned a long time ago that you don't have to be blood related to be family. I love you and will keep the motor running while you rob a bank if that's what you need. You know what I mean.

I love that you always know what I mean.