Thursday, August 19, 2010

The wrong building and a mouse

As you may know from my posts on the subject, I was recently in Colorado. Part of it was for a wonderful wedding and part was a vacation for me and the Man. We went to Estes Park for two reasons:
1) to enjoy the glory and bounty of nature in one of the finest national parks in these here United States
2) to get the willies and enjoy some luxury from the hotel where Stephen King was inspired to write the uber-scary The Shining

So. I Netflixed The Shining and brought it with me no the trip, but none of our rooms had dvd players. We didn't get around to watching it until last night. We were surprised!
I haven't seen the movie for years and years and the Man hasn't ever seen it. When I decided I wanted to stay at The Stanley Hotel, I wanted at least some connection to the creep show that is Jack Nicholson as psycho-Jack Torrence. I knew that the interior shots in the movie were on a studio, but I was told over and over again that the outside shots were of the actual hotel.

People, this is FALSE.

Allow me to show you what I mean. This is the actual hotel (or my reproduction of same):And here is my reproduction of the hotel in the movie:
These are completely different hotels! Nothing in the movie was true to the actual place. And I can't help but feel a little duped. Not by any person or the hotel itself, really. I'm just surprised.

While we were watching the movie, and Jack Nicholson/Torrence was about to enter room 237 (for those of you who haven't seen this movie, let's face it: you will probably NEVER see this movie) and make out with the hottie in the bathtub turned hideous rotting/cackling corpse-lady, Cat #2 walks in with a mouse in his mouth. Now, I've seen Cat #1 with mice, bunnies, birds, but this is the first time Cat #2 has ever shown me a kill. Except... this mouse wasn't dead at all. And, because cats are playful buggars, he kept dropping and reclaiming this mouse over and over. Honestly, I had nothing but congratulations for the cat, but soon enough, the mouse escaped and ran under the fridge. YAY! The motherfuckingPLAGUE in my home! Weeeee!

The Man got on the floor and I got on the counter to stick the flashlight behind the fridge. I saw this:
actual size

He was cowering. I was momentarily sad. Then my interest in getting the filthy wounded thing out of my house took over and I slammed my hand against the fridge several times until it ran out and.... directly under the couch.
What were the cats doing while this was happening, you ask? Were they stalking from side to side like mini-tigers on the hunt? NO! They got bored while we were trying to free the little mouse from behind the fridge and they went back outside to lie down. To rest. Yes! It must have been so taxing watching us do their work for them! UGH.
We searched everywhere, overturned every piece of furniture. It was ridiculous. Luckily, when I first saw the mouse I blocked off the bedroom door just in case the thing got loose. We couldn't find it anywhere. I have come to the conclusion that only two scenarios are possible:
1) when we decided to sit back down and finish the movie after unsuccessfully searching for it, the mouse sneaked out the open front door
2) it is lying in wait inside the apartment just holding on until it can bite my ankles and infect me with the plague

The PLAGUE! FUCK!

And!! This morning I nailed my shin again the Man's bike (which he brought inside because he didn't bring his bike lock). Now I have a convenient open wound for any PLAGUE germs to enter. DAMNIT!!

1 comment:

The Perfect Space said...

I know it is mean to laugh at someone who may, at any moment, be afflicted with a life-threatening disease (such as the PLAGUE!), but the image of you on the chair wiggling the fridge & shouting at the tiny mouse is too much for me. I am, indeed, laughing at your expense. Those cats have no idea how good they have it.